Meet our Counselors
Our Traverse City counseling office is excited to help you find the best counselor for your needs. Mental Wellness Counseling has counselors that can serve clients across the lifespan. We have counselors that focus on:
- New parent counseling
- Middle School issues of bullying, self esteem, eating issues, and self harm
- Video Game Addiction counseling
- High School issues of fitting in, low achievement, college preparation, executive functioning, and study skills building.
- Kids, teens and adults that want help with depression, anxiety, and social skills building
- Couples counseling: Not connecting with a partner, healing post-affair, and empty nest issues.
- Older adult issues such as having kids and parents to take care of
We strive to offer the highest quality counseling in the Traverse City and northern Michigan area. We make every effort to help you reach your goals through your therapy.
If you have any questions, please call our Intake Coordinator at 231-714-0282 ext. 0
Nicole Ball | Holistic Anxiety Counseling
Nicole works with clients that are dealing with anxiety and want quick results to get back to life. As well, clients that value a holistic approach to therapy tend to be drawn to Nicole, especially if they are working through a transition such as divorce, career change, pregnancy, or other life/relationship changes. Nicole takes a compassionate and holistic approach to teaching parenting, working through past trauma, and building coping skills to find more peace in life. Nicole also provides counseling to assist LGBT+ individuals with self exploration related to sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and gender dysphoria. Nicole conducts therapy with individuals, couples, families and groups.
Nicole Ball is a Limited Licensed Master Social Worker
- Bachelors of Social Work from Ferris State University
- Masters of Social Work from Grand Valley State University
- Clinical Master’s Social Worker Limited License State of Michigan
- Member of the National Association of Social Workers
Nicole is a native of Northern Michigan and has over ten years’ experience working with individuals, children and families at local agencies such as The Women’s Recourse Center, Child and Family Services of Northwestern Michigan and Third Level Crisis Center. She is currently a Professor of Social Work at Ferris State University, teaching at both the Traverse City and Big Rapids campuses.
Nicole has a passion for nature and believes in utilizing ones unique strengths and creativity as a source of healing. Nicole specializes in anxiety, particularly pregnancy and health related anxiety, healing from trauma associated with surviving domestic violence or sexual assault, post separation adjustment issues, depression, assisting clients with personal and career goal setting and life transitions.
Nicole’s practice with clients includes a holistic approach that focuses on all aspects of a person’s life including physical, mental and spiritual. Nicole holds the belief that with the use of a holistic approach the underlying cause of the psychological distress can be found and addressed to gain optimum mental functioning and happiness. She utilizes a cognitive-behavioral therapy approaches to assist clients in recognizing how their feelings, thoughts and behaviors connect. Nicole also uses mindfulness techniques to help individuals gain new strategies for personal growth. Nicole conducts therapy with individuals, couples, families and groups.
To call Nicole 231-714-0282 ext. 70
Sarah Hubbell | Helping Families
Is your tween or teen struggling? Do you want to understand your kids better? Want more peace in your family?
Sarah has worked with tweens and teens as a teacher, snowboard instructor, and now as a counselor. She brings expertise and a down-to-earth approach to counseling. More so, she helps you and your family to create a plan for changing the dynamics in your household.
Our Traverse City counseling office is excited to help you find the best counselor for your needs. Mental Wellness Counseling has counselors that can serve clients across the lifespan. Sarah helps clients with:
- Middle School issues of bullying, self esteem, and self harm
- Teens and Adults with a history of trauma, anxiety, or depression
- Video Game Addiction counseling
- High School Issues of fitting in, low achievement, college preparation, executive functioning, and study skills building.
- Depression and Anxiety counseling for kids, teens and adults that want help with depression, anxiety, and social skills building
Sarah Hubbell, MA, LLPC is a limited licensed professional counselor (LLPC). Saturday availability + week days
- Bachelors of Science (2003): Northern Michigan University. Major in Elementary Education.
- Masters of Arts (2007): Western Michigan University. Major in Counselor Education
- Limited licensed professional counselor (LLPC) with 7+ years of experience with youth and families.
- Counsel youth 8+ years old, adults, and families.
- Trauma, PTSD, Crisis, Depression, Anxiety, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Angry Children, Family Issues, Adoption, Divorce, and much more.
- One-year (2014-2015)training with the State of Michigan in trauma focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TFCBT).
Sarah is a native of Traverse City. She began her work with children in the educational setting, teaching elementary education in Marquette, MI, Traverse City, MI, and in Avon, Colorado. She found that children seemed to come to the teachers for support and counseling services. In 2006, Sarah moved back to Traverse City, MI and completed a graduate program in Counseling Education through WMU in 2007. Through internships and careers post degree, she learned to use a number of therapeutic techniques when working with children, adults, and families. She has been working with at-risk youth for the past 10+ years, and more recently has had much success in working with children through Trauma Focused Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (TFCBT) who have been through a traumatic experience(s). Sarah will work with you and your family to utilize new skills, be happier, and even find new and exciting ways to enjoy hope in life.
To call Sarah 231-714-0282 ext. 705
Steve Greenman | Thoughtful Experience
Steve specializes in counseling complex family situations, substance abuse, and parenting.
Steve Greenman, MA, LPC, NCC is a licensed professional counselor (LPC) and joined Mental Wellness Counseling in 2012.
- Bachelors of Arts: Michigan State University (Psychology & American/Russian History)
- State of Michigan teacher certification
- Masters in Arts from Western Michigan University with a focus on Community Counseling
- Certification in substance abuse counseling
- Works with complex family situations
- Youth ages 12+
- Adoption counseling and support
- Adults dealing with transition, anxiety, depression, and relationship issues
Steve is a life long resident of Northern Michigan who has a passion for reading, writing, music and helping others. Steve is a Traverse City counselor. Steve’s counseling philosophy is holistic, approaching each issue on its own merit and evaluating influences to help overcome life’s dilemmas.
To call Steve 231-714-0282 ext. 701
Joseph R. Sanok | Ambitious Results
Joe helps anxious entrepreneurs, angry kids, and distant couples.
Joseph R. Sanok, MA, LLP, LPC, NCC is a licensed professional counselor (LPC), a limited licensed psychologist (LLP) and a nationally certified counselor (NCC) and owner of Mental Wellness Counseling.
- Bachelors of Arts (2000): Lee Honors College at Western Michigan University. Double major in psychology and comparative religion. Honors College Thesis: Psychological Approaches to Teaching Ethics at the Primary Level
- Masters of Arts (2004): Double Masters degrees in Counseling Psychology and Community Counseling
- Licensed professional counselor (LPC), a limited licensed psychologist (LLP) and a nationally certified counselor (NCC)
- 14 years of experience with youth, families, and couples in Kalamazoo, Marquette and Traverse City
- Certified Common Sense Parenting© Instructor
- Certified Trauma Response and Grief Counselor through the AACC
Joe is a native of Traverse City. He utilizes numerous approaches when doing therapy with families, couples, and individuals. He has over 10 years of experience working with at-risk youth in a variety of residential and out-patient settings. He is a frequent speaker on the use of experiential approaches within the context of therapy and was a regular contributor on the “Mary in the Morning” show. As well, he is the therapist for the Traverse City therapeutic sailing program SAIL and started The Muster Project. Joe believes that counseling should be meaningful, exciting, and focused. He teaches the Common Sense Parenting program and is a certified Trauma Response and Grief Counselor.
Joe conducts therapy with families, couples, individuals, and groups. Joe also trains other clinicians through LLPC supervision and his website about counseling private practice www.PracticeofthePractice.com.
To call Joe 231-714-0282 ext. 0
We’d love to hear from you. Please contact us with any questions, comments, or thoughts that you have from your experience with our Traverse City counselors. Also, if Mental Wellness Counseling has helped you, we’d love to hear your story. Thanks for considering Mental Wellness Counseling | A Traverse City Counseling Practice.