Meet our Counselors
Our Traverse City counseling office is excited to help you find the best counselor for your needs. Mental Wellness Counseling has counselors that can serve clients across the lifespan. We have counselors that focus on:
- New parent counseling, birth-7
- Middle School issues of bullying, self esteem, eating issues, and self harm
- Video Game Addiction counseling
- High School issues of fitting in, low achievement, college preparation, executive functioning, and study skills building.
- Kids, teens and adults that want help with depression, anxiety, and social skills building
- Couples counseling: Not connecting with a partner, healing post-affair, and empty nest issues.
- Older adult issues such as having kids and parents to take care of
We strive to offer the highest quality counseling in the Traverse City and northern Michigan area. We make every effort to help you reach your goals through your therapy.
If you have any questions, please call Casey our Intake Coordinator at 231-714-0282 ext. 0
Nicole Ball | Holistic Anxiety Counseling
Nicole works with clients that are dealing with anxiety and want quick results to get back to life. As well, clients that value a holistic approach to therapy tend to be drawn to Nicole, especially if they are working through a transition such as divorce, career change, pregnancy, or other life/relationship changes. Nicole takes a compassionate and holistic approach to teaching parenting, working through past trauma, and building coping skills to find more peace in life. Nicole also provides counseling to assist LGBT+ individuals with self exploration related to sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression and gender dysphoria. Nicole conducts therapy with individuals, couples, families and groups.
Nicole Ball is a Limited Licensed Master Social Worker
- Bachelors of Social Work from Ferris State University
- Masters of Social Work from Grand Valley State University
- Clinical Master’s Social Worker Limited License State of Michigan
- Member of the National Association of Social Workers
Nicole is a native of Northern Michigan and has over ten years’ experience working with individuals, children and families at local agencies such as The Women’s Recourse Center, Child and Family Services of Northwestern Michigan and Third Level Crisis Center. She is currently a Professor of Social Work at Ferris State University, teaching at both the Traverse City and Big Rapids campuses.
Nicole has a passion for nature and believes in utilizing ones unique strengths and creativity as a source of healing. Nicole specializes in anxiety, particularly pregnancy and health related anxiety, healing from trauma associated with surviving domestic violence or sexual assault, post separation adjustment issues, depression, assisting clients with personal and career goal setting and life transitions.
Nicole’s practice with clients includes a holistic approach that focuses on all aspects of a person’s life including physical, mental and spiritual. Nicole holds the belief that with the use of a holistic approach the underlying cause of the psychological distress can be found and addressed to gain optimum mental functioning and happiness. She utilizes a cognitive-behavioral therapy approaches to assist clients in recognizing how their feelings, thoughts and behaviors connect. Nicole also uses mindfulness techniques to help individuals gain new strategies for personal growth. Nicole conducts therapy with individuals, couples, families and groups.
To call Nicole 231-714-0282 ext. 708
Steve Greenman | Thoughtful Experience
Steve specializes in counseling complex family situations, substance abuse, and parenting.
Steve Greenman, MA, LPC, NCC is a licensed professional counselor (LPC) and joined Mental Wellness Counseling in 2012.
- Bachelors of Arts: Michigan State University (Psychology & American/Russian History)
- State of Michigan teacher certification
- Masters in Arts from Western Michigan University with a focus on Community Counseling
- Certification in substance abuse counseling
- Works with complex family situations
- Youth ages 12+
- Adoption counseling and support
- Adults dealing with transition, anxiety, depression, and relationship issues
Steve is a life long resident of Northern Michigan who has a passion for reading, writing, music and helping others. Steve is a Traverse City counselor. Steve’s counseling philosophy is holistic, approaching each issue on its own merit and evaluating influences to help overcome life’s dilemmas.
To call Steve 231-714-0282 ext. 701
Dr. Marilyn A. Fitzgerald | Compassionate Guidance
Marilyn focuses on helping families going through divorce, through providing high quality custody evaluations to determine the best interest of the children. Through her custody evaluations, she provides accurate, compassionate, and authoritative evaluations to help families understand how best to help children transition.
As well, Marilyn appreciates working with a diverse group of clients that are experiencing life transitions that may be causing:
- Anxiety, confusion, depression and even frustration and anger.
- She assists in building a path toward change in a way that empowers the client to discover or rediscover their inner strength and ability to grow.
- Marilyn provides a safe, non-judgmental environment that allows the client to explore new avenues of understanding and awareness.
Marilyn also offers in-depth Psychological Evaluations that are often used to gain a deeper understanding of oneself, and in court and child custody evaluations.
Dr. Marilyn Fitzgerald, Ph.D., Limited License Psychologist
- Conflict Analysis and Resolution, Nova Southeastern University
- Master of Arts
- Clinical Psychology, Western Michigan University
- Bachelor of Science, Psychology Major, Grand Valley State University
Marilyn has been a practicing Limited Licensed psychologist in Traverse City for over 30 years. She is passionate about helping others find a path to mental wellness using Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy techniques that can be utilized in many circumstances throughout their lives.
To schedule with Dr. Marilyn Fitzgerald, call 231-714-0282 ext. 0
Email: email@example.com or click here.
Sarah Hubbell | Helping Families
Sarah helps kids and their families ages 8+ to grow closer, work through trauma, and have a more fulfilling family.
Sarah Hubbell, MA, LLPC is a limited licensed professional counselor (LLPC). Available on Saturdays!
- Bachelors of Science (2003): Northern Michigan University. Major in Elementary Education.
- Masters of Arts (2007): Western Michigan University. Major in Counselor Education
- Limited licensed professional counselor (LLPC) with 7+ years of experience with youth and families.
- Counsel youth 8+ years old, adults, and families.
- Trauma, PTSD, Crisis, Depression, Anxiety, Oppositional Defiant Disorder, Angry Children, Family Issues, Adoption, Divorce, and much more.
- One-year (2014-2015)training with the State of Michigan in trauma focused cognitive behavioral therapy (TFCBT).
Sarah is a native of Traverse City. She began her work with children in the educational setting, teaching elementary education in Marquette, MI, Traverse City, MI, and in Avon, Colorado. She found that children seemed to come to the teachers for support and counseling services. In 2006, Sarah moved back to do counseling in Traverse City, MI and completed a graduate program in Counseling Education through WMU in 2007.
Through internships and careers post degree, she learned to use a number of therapeutic techniques when working with children, adults, and families. She has been working with at-risk youth for the past 7+ years, and more recently has had much success in working with children through TFCBT who have been through a traumatic experience(s). Sarah believes that finding the right counselor begins with taking a chance. Let Sarah help educate, help you and/or your family to utilize new skills, be happier, and even find new and exciting ways to enjoy a new found hope in life.
To call Sarah 231-714-0282 ext. 705
Casey Kiley | Young Adult Coach
Casey helps young adults (up to age 30) transition into adulthood and meet personal goals through coaching. Her goal-focused approach is a non-therapeutic way to help young adults make progress in life.
· 10+ years active engagement in the community
Ferris State University graduate with a Bachelors in Social Work. Additional experience through employment, volunteering, networking, and internships.
Casey is a native of Traverse City, and has worked at Child and Family Services, Third Level Crisis Center, Pine Rest Mental Health, and Bethany Christian Services. Casey’s background has been working with adults, teens, and children that have struggled with issues related to domestic violence, crisis, education, parenthood, transitions, anxiety, and stress. She is also a volunteer mentor with the Doula Program. More recently, she has switched gears into a coaching position with clients. Casey views mental wellness as preventative care for our busy, chaotic lives. Taking time out of our week to spend undivided time with ourselves in personal growth is a positive, fun addition to our routine.
Casey is passionate about working with teens and adults who are actively trying to find direction and set goals for themselves. Her objective is to help individuals work through and accomplish their personal goals, while building confidence and organization in the process, linking to community resources as needed. She understands that sometimes we may need guidance while pursuing goals and changes in our lives, as well as accountability. She wants to help individuals achieve and maintain balance in their emotional, relational, personal, and professional settings.
To call Casey 231-714-0282 ext. 0
Joseph R. Sanok | Ambitious Results
Joe helps anxious entrepreneurs, angry kids, and distant couples.
Joseph R. Sanok, MA, LLP, LPC, NCC is a licensed professional counselor (LPC), a limited licensed psychologist (LLP) and a nationally certified counselor (NCC) and owner of Mental Wellness Counseling.
- Bachelors of Arts (2000): Lee Honors College at Western Michigan University. Double major in psychology and comparative religion. Honors College Thesis: Psychological Approaches to Teaching Ethics at the Primary Level
- Masters of Arts (2004): Double Masters degrees in Counseling Psychology and Community Counseling
- Licensed professional counselor (LPC), a limited licensed psychologist (LLP) and a nationally certified counselor (NCC)
- 14 years of experience with youth, families, and couples in Kalamazoo, Marquette and Traverse City
- Certified Common Sense Parenting© Instructor
- Certified Trauma Response and Grief Counselor through the AACC
Joe is a native of Traverse City. He utilizes numerous approaches when doing therapy with families, couples, and individuals. He has over 10 years of experience working with at-risk youth in a variety of residential and out-patient settings. He is a frequent speaker on the use of experiential approaches within the context of therapy and was a regular contributor on the “Mary in the Morning” show. As well, he is the therapist for the Traverse City therapeutic sailing program SAIL and started The Muster Project. Joe believes that counseling should be meaningful, exciting, and focused. He teaches the Common Sense Parenting program and is a certified Trauma Response and Grief Counselor.
Joe conducts therapy with families, couples, individuals, and groups. Joe also trains other clinicians through LLPC supervision and his website about counseling private practice www.PracticeofthePractice.com.
To call Joe 231-714-0282 ext. 700
We’d love to hear from you. Please contact us with any questions, comments, or thoughts that you have from your experience with our Traverse City counselors. Also, if Mental Wellness Counseling has helped you, we’d love to hear your story. Thanks for considering Mental Wellness Counseling | A Traverse City Counseling Practice.